Wednesday 9 May 2012

Welcome to The Whittle Things


Welcome to The Whittle Things!

My name is Karen, and I have been carving for about 16 years. It started out as something I could do to spend time with my dad, and has now become part hobby, part obsession, and a genuine sanity saver! As a stay at home mom of an infant boy, by the end of the day I need something to do that gets my mind off of housework, childcare, and the daily round of tasks to be done.

About three years ago I discovered the joy of carving basswood eggs. This was a Godsend for me, as I was a newlywed living in a small apartment without room for large pieces of wood and equipment. Basswood eggs are small, easily stored, and yet provide lots of opportunity to create whimsical people, animals, birds, and even landscapes.



Shortly after Christmas 2011, I also began carving golf balls. I had no idea this could become so addictive too! While I still tend to prefer egg carving due to the wider possibility for detail, I find golf ball carving to be relaxing as well. There is no need for sanding, painting base coats, or even using a lot of paint. I can just carve, paint in the details, apply a coat of varnish and it's done!







I have also recently begun creating golf ball keychains, like this rose over here. It's a great idea for any golfing friends, plus it just makes a neat key chain!


I look forward to sharing my carving projects with you, and hope to hear from other carvers out there!

~ Karen V.
www.etsy.com/shop/thewhittlethings

No comments:

Post a Comment