Wednesday 30 May 2012

Carving a Dwarf Egg



My newest project is a basswood dwarf. I started with a basswood goose egg at about 3.75" tall. I made a line around the top where his hat would be, and used a micro V-tool to mark it. I then used a straight blade to create a stop cut, and carved into the cut until the hat seemed a good depth. Next, I decided where the base of the nose and the eyes would be, and roughed them out. At another time, I will go into more detail about how to carve eyes and noses, two of the hardest elements in carving faces. I also marked the ears, and again used stop cuts and V-tools to define them.


So far, as you can see, I have formed the eyes, nose, and the dwarf's long mustache. I am modeling this fellow after an illustration in The Spiderwick Chronicles. Inspiration for carvings can come from anywhere -- books, computers, or random people on the street. My husband just rolls his eyes now whenever I tell him, "Look! That person would make a fantastic egg!"

~Karen V.
www.etsy.com/shop/thewhittlethings

No comments:

Post a Comment