Thursday 17 May 2012

Go Horsie, Go!

I have started another egg carving, and I'm not sure how it's going to turn out. The goal is to turn a wooden basswood egg, like this: 

 and turn it into a horse. Most of the time, when I begin a carving, I have a fairly good idea of how I'm going to get from the egg to the final product. Not this time. This time, I'm using the fine, well-proven technique of "winging it." After two days of carving, this is what I've come up with:
                                                                                    
Front view, you can see the head forming

3/4 View, you can start to see where the mane and tail will be
As you can probably see, I don't have a well-thought-out plan as yet. This could very well end up as a unique piece of firewood! (It wouldn't be the first time.) Part of the fun with carving, though, is never knowing exactly what you'll end up with. Every piece is different and unique, no matter how well planned it is, and no matter how many times you've carved the same thing. 

I am also very excited to have received more golf balls ready to carve! Here they are, all beautiful colors waiting to be turned into wonderful creations:

 I am always open to suggestions about what to carve. I plan to start a golf ball dragon tonight!

~Karen V.


                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment